Monday, February 3, 2020

I THINK

     As we start our final little project in e-Comm, we need to get some background. Our last project (ever) is a music video, so we have been tasked with reviewing a music video.

     The music video I have chosen is I THINK by Tyler, the Creator.  The video starts with him getting kicked out of  a bathroom. He then enters a club where he is looking for a boy who is avoiding him. It ends with a photo shoot where the boy finally approaches him.

     The lighting for this music video is beautiful and pairs really well with the cinematography. The bathroom scene starts with a muted tone with cooler colors, the most notably mint. In there, he sees a boy come out and is entranced until he is caught in a fight. Once he is thrown to the ground outside, it switches to an electric red. This color strikes the most violent, then switches to toned down party lights as he struggles through dark crowds of people. As the second verse hits, a flash of light brings in a photography studio. People take their pictures in front of a vintage, earthy, blue.

     One thing I think this video does really well is keep the subject of the shot close to where it was in the last shot. This is pretty important when it comes to busy,moving,fast-paced shots, as it's easy for the viewer to lose track of where they are supposed to be looking and get lost if the focus of the shot jumps around. When the subject stays nearly the same, he eye can easily follow it and stay engrossed in the video. The editing is also quite strong for this video, cutting as the beat and idea in the song switches and keeping the shot lengths even and easy. The audio comes wholly from the song, which is professionally mixed.

     As I am the colorist for our upcoming movie the Kingfisher, I really want to study different uses of color in music videos and movies so I think looking at this video and trying to recreate its feel will really help me expand my abilities. Our music video also plans on having those electric (and in our case city) lights, so I think that will be a good place to start.

     As an editor, I could see some of where I get my editing style in this video. The editor stays pretty much on the beat and keeps cuts short on faster areas.

This video suits the singer's style really well as he has evolved through his albums. His vibe has changed from a wild, almost childish video-type, has become much more beautiful, as which can be also seen in his BOY IS A GUN music video. I think one thing he and his director could do is develop the story a bit further as it applies to the album.

     All in all Tyler, the Creator is one of my favorite artists and watching his style evolve from his first album to his latest Grammy winning album.

No comments:

Post a Comment