Thursday, May 23, 2019

I'm Not an Underclassmen!!

It's the end of junior year, and I am no longer by anyone's standards an underclassman. Which is very cool and a little nerve-racking. But, the nerve-racking stuff won't really start until after summer so I have some time. Let's reflect, why don't we? Junior year.

I always forget I didn't start the year in entertainment. I started with animation and I did a project and a half. By the time I got to entertainment, I had missed the first two projects. I think my favorite two projects from this year were the short film and the feature film.

The short film was my first full project in that class. I worked with my friends and directed my script. I picked it as one of my favorites because it was my first one and I was proud of the way it turned out. It took us a couple weeks to make start to finish; it was hard to find days we could all make it on set. That was the most difficult challenge, finding time to squeeze in filming in our's and our lead's busy schedules. This project helped me learn a lot about directing and taking the lead in projects. The story didn't have a very strong ending and that's honestly because we couldn't figure out how to end it. I've always struggled with the fact that stories can be anything you want them to be. That just seems like so much pressure to choose the right ending. We also could have been more creative with our lighting choices.  I'm still proud of the fact that we finished this piece on time and the way we wanted it to be. We fit filming into any time we could and it was usually a couple hours after school until as late as everyone could stay and long Saturdays. Abby and I work pretty well as a team and we bounce ideas off of each other really well, so filming was mostly a breeze. I need to improve my script writing because I am not great at creating characters. Well, here it is.

My other favorite project from this year was the feature film we made called Get Real. I was on the post-production team as an editor and colorist. I liked this project because I got to become friends with a lot of the seniors and I learned a new program. I loved getting to work with my class and my friends every day, even if it did get super stressful at the end. I started as an editor and then graduated to a colorist as it became time. This project took all of second semester to make. It was challenging right at the end because we got a little in over our heads as I was coloring the whole thing by myself. Luckily the other colorist finished his other project and could take some weight off my shoulders. We had editing parties where we would all stay at the school late and then we would go to someone else's house and keep editing. I need to work on coloring faster, each grade and recolor took me a lot of time because I was so worried about it looking bad. I also could have made the colors pop more than I did. I was pretty critical of myself when it came to watching the finished project on the big screen, but I was still really proud of what I accomplished. The finished movie was really good and I almost cried in the theater at the climax. They haven't uploaded the movies to Youtube yet, but when they do it will be under ONWStudios.

The thing I loved the most this year was getting to work with my friends and see the things they create. If I could change one thing, I would have gone straight into entertainment so I could do the commercial and music video.  My main take away from this year and my goal is how hard I want to work next year to make each project the best it can be. (Here's my direct address to Mrs. Smith. Mrs. Smith, I really want to step up my production value next year and make you, my class, last year's seniors, and most importantly myself, proud.) Next year will be the year I jump head first into the arts.

I'm really hoping that next year I stay in sixth and seventh hour because I love having e-Comm at the end of the day. I really don't like the idea of having it at the beginning or middle of the day and having classes afterward. Next year, I don't mind doing coloring since I'm the only person to get taught Da Vinci, but I really want to be the script supervisor. In our theater department, I am an assistant director and the closest comparing role in e-Comm is a script supervisor. I have already gotten to assistant direct couple shows and I got to learn from this year's script sup Piper. She was a really hard worker and really good at her job and I would love to fill her shoes.  I also got to fill her for her a couple times on set and I loved it. Whatever I end up doing, I cannot wait for next year.





No comments:

Post a Comment